Monday, April 8, 2019

Keep a Knife and Keep it SHARP.



If you aren't someone who normally carries a knife I suggest you start. You'll get used to having it with you and you'll be surprised how much you use it.

We could get into what type for what situation, etc... but for this post I'm just talking about a nice pocket knife or maybe even a multi tool of some kind. I'd call it "every day carry" gear, but, first, I hate the catchy phraseology used by niche groups, so I rarely use it except for quick references in blog posts like this, and second, it's more than just an every day carry piece of equipment. My EDC would be readily handy to me, like my purse, but my pocket knife is in my pocket. Are your car keys EDC? Is your wallet EDC? Technically maybe, but, no, not specifically. They are just always there. My pocket knife is just in.my.pocket.

Open packaging, remove tags, cut, divide, slice: I don't always use it many times a day, or even necessarily every day, but I do use it often, and when I need it, if I don't have it, its a drag.

Any knife is better than no knife. A better knife is-- well-- better, but don't let lack of finances stop you. You can pick up a five dollar knife at almost any outdoor or hardware store. Start there, then when you can manage it, get a better one. Getting the five dollar knife will help you learn what you want out of a knife before you spend more buying a better one.

Keep that sucker sharp. A dull knife is a frustration, a bad tool, and a danger. I will probable get "educated" by people about this, because people will say, "You are going to ruin your blade like that!" and explain how I SHOULD sharpen a knife, but get one of these small knife sharpeners (link below) or something similar for quick use.

I've had one just like the one it for close to 20 years. I paid 3 bucks for it at the grocery store. All these years later and they're still only four bucks. I recently ordered an extra for my "EDC" and my "B.O.B." They are cheap, light, easy to stow and easy to use. It has a course/carbide and a fine/ceramic side. I have my old one in my kitchen drawer and I use it all the time. I have had some pretty crummy knives do a fairly decent job for me just by keeping them sharp. I have acquired better knives over the years, and I still use it, probably daily.

I don't endorse many products, but I give this one my stamp of approval. Why? Because it works and because I use it. If it works but you won't (or can't) use it, then, in reality, it's it's not a good tool for you. I have other knife sharpening tools, but this one is the go-to, every day tool that I use. I think you would, too.

I suppose if you have a thousand dollar hand crafted pocket knife you might not want to do it this way, but, it's not likely you're using that as your every day knife. If you have something like that, learn to use a wet stone or an oil stone, use it on the nice knife, then go buy a pocket knife you can pick the rocks out of your shoe tread with for carrying in your pocket.

Carry on.

Amazon link to knife sharpener, or copy/paste:
https://www.amazon.com/Smiths-CCKS-2-Step-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B00032S02K/ref=sr_1_22?crid=3VF7VHQLLSHM6&keywords=knife+sharpener&qid=1554755451&s=gateway&sprefix=knife+sharpener%2Caps%2C182&sr=8-22

No comments: