Saturday, November 17, 2012

November - 30 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 14 & 15 - Change and Opportunity




I'm behind on my posts, so I'm going to roll two into one today.  I'm thankful for change and opportunity.

Some people hate change.   Most people like things just the way they are, comfortably predictable to some degree, no surprises outside the parameters we've subconsciously set, but nothing too unusual or unexpected.  Change is inevitable, so you might as well be agreeable to it. Even if it isn't what you planned or wanted, hey, here it is! Make the best of it!

I thrive on change!  Change is opportunity.  Opportunities come with change.  Some people never hear opportunity knocking. Me?  I hear it coming down the road!  I will run out and meet it if I can.  If change is coming, why wait until it takes you by surprise and catches you off guard?  Grab it and make it the opportunity of a lifetime!

We are supposed to live by faith.  Where is the freedom to jump and follow God if we are so stuck in our plans and habits and so resistant to change that it takes an emergency to force us up?  Some of our greatest opportunities are hidden in situations that we can reject out of hand because they look too much like an uncomfortable change on the surface.  How do you know it's uncomfortable, and, if it is, how do you know it wouldn't be worth the discomfort?  That attitude is fearful or lazy, or both, and it's unacceptable.  Just a little bit of soul searching and you know that.

Most people would plan every day to be "normal" and never have any occasion to step out on faith at all.  That's not why we're here.  That's not how we're designed.  We're  created to go through life, not park in it someplace.  We are designed to be ready to go when God calls.  We are designed to be trained, and to be overcoming conquerors, victors and warriors!  How could we overcome if there were no obstacles?  How can we have victory with no battles?  To the victors go the spoils!  Have you ever had any spoils?  Wouldn't you like to have some spoils?  Even with my limited experience I can tell you, spoils make the battles worth the sweat and the blood.  You will never have the opportunities to enjoy the spoils if you don't learn to enjoy the training and then use it to win.  Stop quitting and win!

Do I enjoy it?  Ask an athlete if he enjoys his training.  He will say yes.  I'm sure he didn't like it in the beginning, but he stuck with it and eventually got to where he loved it and lived for that "burn" *that indicated improvement.  He trained for the win.  Ask a well trained soldier what he wants to do and where he wants to go after he's trained and prepared and he'll tell you, "To the battle."  Yes, I enjoy it.  I love pressing toward the mark.   I want to win.

There's and old saying that God doesn't call the equipped, but equips the called.  Don't sit on your equipment!


 ".....I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. I know both how to be abased, and I know how to abound: every where and in all things I am instructed both to be full and to be hungry, both to abound and to suffer need.  I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me." - Php 4:11-13 


(photo credit)

No comments: