Monday, November 5, 2012

November - 30 Days of Thanksgiving: Day 5





Day 5:  I'm thankful for my pick-up truck.  Not just that it's pretty, which it is, and fast, which it IS, or that it's helpful, or a needful thing, or convenient or anything, but that it is a constant reminder to me that God answers prayer.  

Once upon a time a long time ago, my husband and I wrote a prayer list of things we wanted.  We prayed about them and tucked the list away.  I had completely, totally  forgotten about it.  I think he had, too, judging by the reaction he had when we came across it many years later.  We were getting ready to move and were going through some of the old boxes from up in the attic, and inside one of them was the list.  

When we wrote it we had very little money, and even though some of the items on our list were not really big items, we just didn't have the means to get them on our own.   I have forgotten most of what was on it, and I am sure I have probably gotten and gotten rid of some of them.  For instance, I remember a microwave being on it, and I know I have had several microwaves over the years.  

One thing I do know is that a Dodge Ram pick-up truck was on it.  That was huge for us, way out of the picture.   I vaguely remember talking about the fact that they are gas guzzlers ,and my husband said that when the time came that we could get a nice truck like that we'd be able to put gas in it, too, and we put it on the list.

So, anyway, the list was stowed and forgotten.

I am embarrassed to report that I didn't remember that list, and I didn't remember to give God proper thanks for it when we finally got it, brand new in 2006.  Now, every time I look at that wonderful truck it's a reminder that God is faithful even when I am not, and it reminds me to be diligent to give Him the glory in the small, easily forgotten things.

Psalms 103:2 - "Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits."

Deut. 8:1-10




No comments: